Saturday, April 11, 2009

Tahoe, April 7-11 (posted by Buddy)

Drove up to Tahoe via Mono Lake. Saw these ‘tufa’ in and around the water, and deer crossing the road on our way out.






It snowed like crazy as we drove into Kirkwood (South Lake Tahoe) and I was happy to wear my fleece.














Two days later

we drove up to Truckee (North Lake Tahoe) and stayed with MC and Scott. We always have a great time with them! Little Max and Ava are adorable and provided endless entertainment! The peeps got some fun boarding in at Alpine & Squaw. With all the snow we had, my fleece got pretty wet during walks, so Himne got me a waterproof coat in Squaw Village. Will certainly come in handy in Seattle and in Canada...


clip_image002
Himne teaching Max yoga or break dancing?

TD: 
Perfect timing. A big storm rolls through Tahoe and dumps for about 4 days straight. We drove up to Kirkwood the night before and got to test out the snow chains in a light (perfect) snowstorm. It dumped about 6” at the base of the mountain and up to 18” up top. I was 2nd in line at the lift and got killer freshies until about 11am when the place was chewed up. Then about noon they opened up the chair on the far east of the mountain and I was lucky to be in the right place. Continued freshies all day. I found some tree skiing spots that were empty – and opened up into open spaces that I got all to myself. After doing the sport for about 18 years, I finally have an epic snow day. Day 2 at Kirkwood was basically a repeat – it snowed all night again and got great powder on day 2. We camped free at the RV parking at Kirkwood. Pretty cold, probably wouldn’t do it again with a dog because of all the extra work making sure he’s reasonably happy and warm.

Tahoe is on our top 10 places I might want to live one day, Truckee I think might be the best spot within Tahoe to live permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment